Foods & DrinkHealth & Fitness

How to Get Rid of Poison Ivy Fast

What is Poison Ivy?

Poison ivy is most often seen east of the Rocky Mountains as vines or shrubs. The leaves can have smooth or notched edges, and they are commonly grouped in groups of three. Poison ivy exposure can result in allergic contact dermatitis.

“Leaves of three, let them be,” as the saying goes, might serve as a useful reminder to recognise and avoid poison ivy and other similar deadly plants. Poison ivy is distinguished by three leaflets and blooming branches that grow from a single stem. You may also see distinctive black specks on the plant, which are oxidised urushiol (the oil that causes the reaction to poison ivy plants). In the fall, poison ivy develops a green or off-white berry-like fruit. Poison ivy plants can vary in appearance according on the season, growth cycle, geography, and environment.

Symptoms of Poison Ivy

  • A red rash is one of the first signs of poison ivy contact
  • After being exposed to the plant for 4 hours to 4 days, it usually shows.
  • It usually begins as little red pimples and progresses to blisters of various sizes.
  • It might crust or ooze.
  • It stings a lot.
  • It can happen anywhere on the body where the plant’s oil has come into contact.
  • It can take any shape or pattern, although straight lines or streaks across the skin are the most prevalent.
  • Although it may appear that the rash is expanding because various parts of the skin break out at different times, blister fluid leaking does not spread the rash.
  • Exposure to the plant’s oil, which can remain on hands, beneath fingernails, clothing, shoes, and gardening equipment, causes the rash.
  • It lasts two to three weeks.

Seven Quick Ways To Get Rid Of Poison Ivy:

If you’ve been exposed to poison ivy, you should remove the urushiol as soon as possible to avoid symptoms. Here are seven quick and easy ways to get rid of poison ivy:

Rubbing alcohol

After coming into contact with poison ivy, clean your skin with rubbing alcohol as soon as possible (within 10 minutes) to help eliminate the urushiol from the skin, reduce pain, and reduce your chance of a serious skin rash. If you’re going camping or trekking, it’s a good idea to keep alcohol wipes with you at all times.

Lather, rinse and repeat

To eliminate plant oils, wash the skin and beneath the fingernails thoroughly with a mild soap and lukewarm water. Showering within 60 minutes of exposure may assist to minimise the rash’s development and intensity. To minimise additional exposure, put on your rubber gloves and wash anything that comes into touch with the plant.

Cold compress

Once symptoms appear, a cold, damp compress can help relieve itching and irritation. Apply a damp washcloth to the afflicted region for 15-30 minutes, as needed, throughout the day. To decrease swelling and irritation even further, soak the compress in an astringent liquid like aluminium acetate, apple cider vinegar, or cooled black tea.

Avoid scratching

Scratching a poison ivy rash may provide temporary comfort, but it can also worsen the rash, cause blisters to break, and result in infection. Say no to scratching, no matter how tough it is. Scratching before cleaning your fingernails may unintentionally transmit urushiol over a broader region of your skin, causing more irritation and a more severe rash.

Topical ointments

Hydrocortisone cream, calamine lotion, and aloe vera gel are some of the over-the-counter lotions and creams that can help relieve itching and swelling. Zinc acetate, zinc carbonate, and zinc oxide are also effective in treating urushiol-induced oozing and weeping.

Over-the-counter oral antihistamines

Oral drugs such as Claritin or Benadryl can help relieve itching and irritation, but you should see your doctor to determine which one is best for you. A topical antihistamine cream should never be used on a rash since it might aggravate the itching. To relieve discomfort, dry blisters, and prevent infection, go for more rubbing alcohol.

Go to urgent care

If the rash is broad, such as on your face or genitals, or if it has left you covered in blisters, go to an urgent care centre very once. They can not only give you steroids to assist with the itching and irritation, but they can also check you and give you antibiotics if you have a bacterial infection.

The easiest approach to avoid an itchy, unpleasant, blistering rash is to recognise and avoid poison ivy. If you have a poison ivy rash and need immediate medical attention, or if you want to learn more about how to get rid of poison ivy quickly, get medical assistance.

Exit mobile version